Kai Kens talking

edited November 2013 in Kai Ken (甲斐犬)
Akuma has been talking a lot lately it's really cute. When he wants to play I keep asking him " What do you want? Tell me what you want." and he will walk up to me and do this low bark growl thing that goes up and down in pitch. I'm guessing he is annoyed with me because he knows I know exactly what he wants and I keep asking what he wants. He will also come up to me and stick he face right in front of mine when he does this. If he wasn't my dog I would think he was going to bite me lol. Do any of your Kai do this?

Comments

• Tora talks to me all the time.
  • Leo is almost utterly silent. Even if he is outside in the snow and wants to come in, he only makes this tiny pitiful little soft whine that I can barely hear. He doesn't bark. He has started to growl a bit when the puppy pushes him too far, but even that he doesn't do.

He did make this odd....roar...the other day. That's the only way I can describe it. Not a bark or a growl but something in between, and it was when some idiot with an offleash dog let his dog get too close to our fence and the puppy. He'd also never shown any sort of territorialness before that.

So no talking for my Kai boy! But it sounds really cute that the others do it!
  • @shibamistress Lol pitiful whine that makes me laugh. Akuma didn't talk much unless he was in his crate and we came home. Then it was a whine fest. However if he sees something he want to chase and we don't let him he will make this awful whine bark noise that sounds like we are killing him....slowly. he will also make a bunch of noise if one of us comes to the deck and he can't get to us. Anyway basically I taught him to speak and now he talks a lot more.
  • Matsu makes a funny sound when we are getting ready to go out or I come home, it's like a simultaneous battle-cry and a yawn: "YAAAAAAAW!" -like a roar with a rusty hinge - which I cant help but say right back to him.... its often accompanied by a full body stretch, so I think its like a release thing for him. OR maybe he's saying "FINALLY!!"
  • @WrylyBrindle - Nola (Shiba) does the same thing that Matsu does! And I also can not help but "YAWR" right back at her. It is adorable. And I love the description of the "roar with a rusty hinge"... :-D

• Oh yeah you guys know what i'm talking about! We should try to get some videos and post them. I think it shows off their sassyness and cuteness.
  • LOL @WrylyBrindle, that's EXACTLY what Kona does too!!
  • Kuma is my most vocal.
  • @WrylyBrindle, everyone does like Matsu :D Ikko does the same things when we are back at home ^^.
    Plus, when he sees dogs on a walk (or at the dog class) or sees wild animals on TV he whines a LOT !
    And last week I was watching a recorded video of his dog class and he howls like his buddy the husky xD
  • Juno howls, but I havent heard Matsu howl.

Juno is super cute when she does it, too- she closes her eyes, lifts her nose and opens her mouth just a little: "Wrrooooooooo!" and tilts her head slowly to the side as the howl goes on, like she's really enjoying it in her heart. Like a singer.
  • Oh that sounds so cute @WrylyBrindle! If you ever get a chance, a video so I could hear it would be so cute (kona and kimber dont howl either, just "yyyaaawwwwrrr!!!"). :)
  • Yucca does a "yowl" when we come home. It's horribly pathetic! She will "whine whine whine YAAWAWOW"
  • Anyway basically I taught him to speak and now he talks a lot more.
    LOL this is exactly what happened with Ren! The only "speech" she every displayed was whining in various forms. Then I started tagging her "grumbling" when I had something tasty that she wanted as "speak", and then she was super excited and freaking out one day about her raw food (this was right at the beginning) and gave me a bark which immediately got a "Good speak!" and I gave her the raw food right away. We've reinforced "speak" with her barks ever since, so now she'll bark on command, and then ever since she's "spoken" a lot more with everything else. I come home "whine whine whine!", take off shoes and go to the stairs, then turn around because I forget something "whine whine... bark play-growl", and all sorts of noises in between lol.
  • Juno howls, but I havent heard Matsu howl.

Juno is super cute when she does it, too- she closes her eyes, lifts her nose and opens her mouth just a little: "Wrrooooooooo!" and tilts her head slowly to the side as the howl goes on, like she's really enjoying it in her heart. Like a singer.
    This really, really, REALLY needs to be on video! It sounds adorable :D
  • I agree. Get it on video @WrylyBrindle

Haha @cezieg that sounds pretty much the same as here. It's like you flipped on their speak button and now they want to talk all the time now.
  • Hanzo grunts sometimes when I pick him up or I'm doing something he doesn't like, but tolerates, like slipping his harness over his face.

My coworker likened his cries to a pterodactyl when I first took a crate to work and he was getting used to the confinement there. He quickly realized it was a cozy place to sleep all day and has done well ever since.
  • When Matsu was getting used to his crate and we had to let him cry it out at night he made these awful groany complaints: "Wrrraw! Wrrrraaaw! Wrrraaaw! " It was a very sad sound, and prehistoric, but in a couple nights he learned that we were all in the same room and he needed to just settle in and sleep.
  • Akuma wraaawwws at me if I keep asking him "what do yo want"?
  • edited December 2013
    See below
  • Hehe, awesome video of Akuma talking!
  • My god that is so cute! :) :)

Like I said, Leo's pretty quiet, but he's made a "roaring" sounds a couple of times, now and I finally realized it's just how he growls for real (not a play growl, which I've heard before). He never really growled for real until we got a puppy, and now he's growled to "protect" her a couple of times, and yesterday, she pounced on him when he was asleep and startled him, and he growled at her for real, and it was very much a roaring sound--like a growl, but with an "arrrrrh" as part of it too it (hard to explain!). I guess that's just how he growls!