Nihon Ken Drawings

edited August 2016 in General
Hey all! It's been a heck of a long time since I posted anything on here. I've been very busy with my job but, I still draw lots of Japanese doggies! Thought I would share! (I'm friends with a lot of people on here on FB so some are repeats but, i'm sure there's plenty that i'm not friends with! :P)

Hope these don't end up massive on the page -- otherwise i'll rescale them myself.

Akita Inu

Shikoku
Plus, one from a few years ago (this was in the 2014 NKF calendar)

Kai
(Need to draw a new one, this came out a little too toony for my tastes)

Shiba

Hokkaido
This one is also from the 2014 NKF calendar so it's a bit dated.

Just need to draw some Kishu (and more Hokkaido!) ... I think wanna try my hand at some Yushoku Kishu next.

Comments

• Cute! Nice to see some sesame love.

(Also, my friend who works for Curse linked me your top Akita pic yesterday lol.)
  • I really love that 3rd shiba down!
  • Very good work.
  • Cute! Nice to see some sesame love.
    Little biased since I have a sesame shiba. :P So I like doodling the sesame colors.
  • More Hokkaido, please! :3
  • Love your drawings. :)
  • After seeing these I wish I actually practiced art a little bit better so I could draw some neat portraits of my dogs! These are super beautiful! I love how the Akita came out.
  • More Hokkaido, please! :3
    Thankfully there's way better examples now of the breed than before so i'll have to revisit drawing them! :)

Shiba/Kai/Shikoku/Akita are so much easier to draw because they have such distinct headshapes & markings. I haven't tried drawing any Hokkaido or Kishu in a long time.
    After seeing these I wish I actually practiced art a little bit better so I could draw some neat portraits of my dogs! These are super beautiful! I love how the Akita came out.
    Never too late to try! :D I've really only gotten a distinct style for my portraits in the past year or so. I've been at it for years. (And thanks!)
  • I agree never too late to try. :) Always fun to doodle or try something new.
  • Of course I'd love to see a Kishu. ;) But your portraits are really cute, for all the breeds.
  • edited August 2016
    I've mostly just been working on these between commissions & work -- wish I had more time/drive to do them all right now. hah.

I work super quick so I managed to flesh out a large portion of the shading on the Shikoku doodle from earlier this week. :) Did this shading in 16 minutes on my lunch break. Still lots to do to it but, I like it so far!

Think I need to fix a little bit once I start painting over because it's looking Shiba in the face right now ...

Edit, I worked on this for another hour or so this afternoon. Loving how this is turning out now. :D
  • I finished my Shikoku Ken drawing over the weekend!

I also recorded parts of the process for anyone interested in checking it out:

Volume ended up a little loud, so turn down your volume. Just a heads up.
  • Very good work, I really like the time lapse video. Reminds me of a tablet program I've used for the same thing. Thanks for sharing .