Martingale Collars & ID

edited April 2016 in General
Those of you who use martingale collars with ID or rabies tags, where do you clip the tags?

The one I am getting will be 1.5" wide and leather, but it will have a clip like this one so it can be converted between fixed size and limited slip. As you can see it does not have a D-ring.

Do you normally put tags on the "fixed" ring? Or somewhere else?

Comments

• I personally use Boomerang Tag collars, which just slip on the collar. My dogs do not keep their rabies/license tags on their collars unless we are going somewhere that we will need them (and even then, I usually clip them to their harnesses, not their collars).

But if I absolutely needed to hang rabies/license tags, I would just hang them on the ring that attaches the chain to the leather.
  • edited April 2016
    I looked up boomerang tags. Those are neat! Unfortunately they don't make them big enough for the collar I am getting. I love the idea of having a metal plate as opposed to hanging tags -- though we still have license and rabies tags to consider as well. :/

This type of collar is a new move for me. For years we've used ID tag collars (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003Y0D7MQ) and then a separate collar/harness/slip lead when we go out. Mainly we did this to protect the fur for conformation show but we're done with showing until the next generation. So I thought it was time to get some fancy collars. XD

ETA: I wonder if I could find some custom name plates and bolt them on to the new collars without it looking like crap.
  • Honestly I nevee figured out a way to put tags on Tin-Tin's martingale so he wears two collars, his big leather decorative that holds his tags and his fabric martingale. When at rest the larger leather sits above the martingale. Both are thin and I check ocassionally for iritation. He doesn't seem to mind. I'd just rather not break a tag or have it jam under the leash clip and unlatch it as there's only one ring.
  • edited April 2016
    My ID tags on my martingales are on one of the steel rings connected to the collar itself (paracord).

I like this idea for a martingale collar based on the one you have pictured up top. Where could I go about ordering 1....or 3.

Jesse
  • I'm having a hard time visualizing how the pictured martingale is any more fixed than a regular martingale? You can clip the leash to the ring that's part of collar instead of in the middle of the chain loop.
  • wouldn't clipping to the ring attached to the collar mean that the collar (without the martingale chain) has to be an exact fit to the dog? Isn't it usually a bit more snug than that when the chain tightens?

Jesse
  • My last collar didn't have a ring d-ring, I just bought a large key chain ring (?) And attached it to the inside of the fabric loop, so it doesn't interfere with the chain or leash or dog :)
  • @ayk It's not about using a leash, its about removing the constriction when NOT using a leash, eg. for safety reasons. With a slip collar (of any kind) if the ring that the leash is normally attached to gets caught on something it will tighten on the dog's neck. A fixed collar doesn't do that. Having the collar be convertible means I can feel better about leaving it on the dog all the time, since it will be the same as a normal buckle collar.

@Crimson02 I don't think that Ann meant taking the chain off. With the chain on and NOT used to tighten the collar, the collar will be at its MAX size on the dog's neck.
  • Ah gotcha...so you'll tighten and loosen the collar depending on function (collar only vs. martingale). I get it now.

If you don't mind my asking, where can one buy that convertible collar you have pictured above?

Jesse
  • @CrimsonO2, etsy has a few like this. Pretty sure THIS is the same one.

This is another style HERE, without the chain (so like a slip collar), you can use the floating or fixed ring.
  • Still not getting the visual. I don't see how you can detach the chain loop entirely and just clip to the opposite collar ring for a fixed length. If you can't detach the chain loop, there's still the dangly chain that can catch on stuff including the dog's own leg when scritching him/herself.

• Looking at the original picture more closely, I think @ayk is right. Since the chain is not fixed on the opposite non-configurable side either, no matter which ring (fixed or floating) you attach the snap too, the free moving chain will make it constrict.

However, the alternative slip collar with snap and floating ring will work in either mode.

Fixed

Floating
  • I'll take a picture later. Trust me it works. XD
  • Interesting Martindale, I'd imagine that to make it fixed the snap could attach to both rings instead of one.
  • I got a guy on etsy to make a leather martingale and then a separate leather "necklace" to use for tags. The "necklace" is a very narrow strip of leather (but strong!) and holds the tags, and then the other collar is for leashing him up.
  • I attach Pylea's ID tag to the actual metal slider/adjustor on her martingale collar, as pictured below.

• Cute! But mine are not adjustable... :>

I am thinking about adding a nylon loop with a ring inside the collar at the front that will hang down slightly, and I'll use a quick-change tag on it.
  • I have a show dog so she can't wear a regular collar or else it will mess up her fur. I bought a custom 1/4" wide Lizard Leather house collar that's sole purpose is to hold all her tags and serve as a "handle" for when someone comes to the door and she decides to break her stay lol. She wears this full time, and whenever we go for a walk she has a separate 1.5" collar that I hook her leash to.

Maybe you could try something similar?
  • I've used rope ID collars for years but we're done with conformation now -- hence finally getting "real" collars.
  • I've used rope ID collars for years but we're done with conformation now --
    Haha..
  • edited May 2016
    It should have said "for now" I forgot the "for" LOL. We're not going to a bazillion "generic" UKC shows every year like we were. At least not until 2017. Just special shows -- Premier, NIPPO Classic, Nihon Ken Invitational, AKIHO, and our National Specialty.