Leash Training for Show?

edited November 2015 in General
What have you found to be the best method to get them to walk beside you and pay attention to where you are going and what direction to walk in?

Comments

• A method that uses something along the lines of this...

http://www.clickertraining.com/node/541
  • What type of leash/collar are you using for shows?
    We tried with the traditional Japanese Akita collar but in Australia, the judges do not like seeing them in the ring. So we use a snake chain and a Paracord lead.
    As for training them, Ive found very short sessions have worked best . We play before hand and then she has stacking training (2 minutes ish), then gaiting, keeping it fun so she enjoys it. Instead of using treats or toys though, her reward is lots of praise and more play.
    The most important thing for us is that the dog is having fun being in the ring, so while at a show for example I don't continue to practise before going in the ring, we will play a little bit and groom and then go straight in. While we are lining up before going in for breed and group I just keep talking to her and keeping her happy. Really , you are only in the ring for such a short time- there is no reason why the dog can't be enjoying themselves too! I talk to her and praise her a lot in the ring and have had many judges including international judges compliment our team work as they can see we are both happy.

• I've just realised yours is a pup!
    What we did - leash drag in the house- let them wear the show leash and just get used to it.
    Training sessions very very short. We always started with her normal collar and lead for the foundations- learning to walk on the leash.
    Lots of praise and treats and don't expect too much in any one session.
    We would do about 3-5 minutes maximum of show training in between lots of playing.
    Always keep it positive!!
  • For my puppies I have always used a wooden spoon with peanut butter. Pulling on them only makes it worse. First step is to get them walking. After several successful walks. (Not having to drag the puppy.) I let them pull and not heal and stop and sniff and enjoy the leash. Then after several good walks. I might start light corrections to get them to heal. But if the peanut butter works good they will heal and pay attention to you. You can walk in circles figure 8's. Down and back; triangles. Holding the spoon where you want the puppy to be. He will follow you anywhere for a few minutes. Then I just offer the treat less and less till I no longer need a treat but still he follows me looking up at me for a treat that could come at any moment.