Kishu Ken at UKC Dog Show & Results

edited October 2015 in Kishu Ken (紀州犬)
I realize I've become one of those Kishu owners who comes to the forum and pretty much never posts about my dogs. I'm PRETTY sure that's because any off-time I have is given to the dogs, but I'm also guilty of being on FB when I am online, instead of coming around here.

Anyway, Nami and Fionna attended their first UKC dog show. It was my first time as well, in preparation for the Nihon Ken Invitational in a couple weeks.

Nami came away with 8 ribbons: 2 "First Place" (in her class, in her breed), 2 BOB (vs. only Fionna, of course), 2 Best of Sex )in her breed, vs only Fionna, again), and 2 "Third Place" in the Northern group match. An American Eskimo took first and an American Akita took second, so that was actually kind of exciting, at least.

Fionna came away with 4 ribbons (2 "First place" in her class/breed, 2 reserve Best of Sex in the breed match against Nami). She also growled at one judge, who seemed pretty upset with her and me in the first place. :( She did NOT growl at the second judge, and was really good with her, though. Not super happy, but not inappropriate like she was with the first judge.

I don't know for sure, but I think it may be the first time the Kishu has ever been shown in the UKC. I can't find any records saying any others have been shown, so we might have made history there, too, which is a little silly to think about.

Here are some pictures!

It was also my birthday, so we rewarded ourselves with a hike at Rainbow Falls after the show was over and we were headed back home.

Comments

• edited October 2015
    Good job, Nami and Fionna! Making history!!

Not all judges are good at dealing with primitive dogs, they can have too aggressive approach/handling. I would evaluate whether or not her reaction to the first judge was inappropriate or warranted, and if it was warranted add the judge to your DNS (do not show) list and let other NK owners know as well. If she really was out of line, then that's simply something to work on. More time in the ring will help her and you be relaxed, and any kind of handling practice you can get to positively reinforce the experience would be good.

I'm so excited, we're going to have all six NK at our show this year! I don't know if she is entered (because she is out of condition from puppies), but Lindsay said Genko is coming. :D We were missing the Kishu and Hokkaido last year.
  • No I haven't entered yet...I'm always last minute for that, and need to get a TL first.
  • Cuuutieeees. Congrats! <3
  • Love the pics. :) Congratulations.
  • Get it donnne, @Lindsayt! :p I made the mistake of registering on a Friday night, so I didn't get my TL numbers until Monday afternoon, but was still able to compete in the show. The organizers just did everything afterward.

And thank you, everyone! :D Showing isn't so bad. It's not what the Kishu prefer to do, lol, but it was fun to see everyone and talk about the dogs.
  • Ok I got the TL and can mail entries for naked Genko in the morning
  • Great job CJ! I'm glad Nami and Fionna is doing so well.