The perfect Dog Run

edited April 2015 in General
In my introduction thread I mentioned the need to separate my dogs when they cant be supervised. For when I am sleeping or out of the house or I have guests. Right now they get separated in the house if I leave. I also will be hiring a person to care for my dogs during vacation if I leave town.

I am considering making a secure enclosure with a multiple dog house and an awning for shade. I am an ok carpenter and with help from family could build almost anything. On a budget.

I am considering a two dog house, duplex style. Proportionately sized. With a fence that runs from the center of the dog house out at least but not limited to 30 ft. I might consider for three dogs but I am not sure this space is enough for more then two.

So picture a square that is approximately 30ft by 30ft. Then split that to make two dog runs. Each 15ft wide by 30ft long. This is the space I have allocated to build and it is approx not exact. I need to measure.

I need to think about how to maintain a nice temperature in this dog house. What kinda heat I would need and if I would need A/C in the summer. I hear properly built it wont need heat or A/C but I have no knowledge on the subject. So any advise is appreciated.

Also how I want set up water bowls. I was thinking something that auto fills I hear they sell somthing for that. But I might just go with real big water bowls.

I am not considering pavement because the idea of that bothers me. I have seen pictures of dog runs online and I am not sure why that would be necessary. I think they would like grass better. But I know grass wont survive. So I dont know what to use. But there has got to be a better way then concreat. They could get quit muddy if it rains. Then they would need baths just to go in the house when I wake up. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could use?

Any pictures you guys have of your dog runs and dog houses to inspire ideas. I would definitely appreciate.

also if anyone has any multiple dog house prints that would be awsome.

Comments

• edited April 2015
    In the back yard the fence is almost 8ft tall privacy fence with no spaces between boards. The front yard is 4ft tall. The dotted lines are where I am considering putting more fence.