Kiba making progress!

edited February 2015 in General
So after my freak out of "OMG Kiba hates me", I took a step back. I also finally had my orientation class at Ahimsa for their fearful/aggressive/reactive dogs which I was taking for Taro's aggression issues but it talked a lot about fears and building dogs confidence and comfort, so I learned some things I was doing wrong with Kiba and now focused and having one on one time with him just walking.

I took him out for one walk with some string cheese and just gave him small bits when I called his name. He actually was waged less skittish whenever I handed him the cheese and he really started to get really into going after the cheese. He started to pull a lot of walks which included going into the road and I learned to try to not pull. So I started to walk on the other side of him and use my body position to guide him back on versus pulling and it has worked really well. He pulls way less and moves much better with me.

I did this walk only a couple of days ago but now his tail is up the whole walks. He also has become a sniffing monster! He really has been sniffing way more and more comfortable in going off to the side and sniffing without freaking out when I stop to let him sniff. Before he would get nervous and immediately freeze anytime I stopped and looked at him. Now he gets to sniff all he wants and either lets me know he's ready to move on or he just comes with me when I call his name.

He LOVES to be brushed and I got him up on the couch and started to brush him and he didn't flinch or run, was falling asleep, and really seemed to enjoy it. Since even that brushing he now shies less away from me when I approach the couch and sometimes now, I can come to the couch and actually pet him.

Baby steps and I'm giving him more space. We start k9 intro to nose work in a few weeks so I'm glad he will have something fun to do.

Comments

• Awesome job!! You're doing awesome things with him and he seems to really be coming out of his shell now :)

I bet he'll really like the nosework class! I did one with Suki and she seemed to like the concept of finding smells to get treats. But the poor girl was way too advanced for the other dogs in class and seemed bored two classes into it.
  • That's a great story! I'm really happy to read this today! 1:1 time is so good for them. Something the cheese reminded me of was Treat/Retreat- in which instead of presenting the cheese so the dog has to get closer to you to get it, you toss the cheese past him, so he has to turn away from you to get it, but then willingly look back AT you to see if there's more. It breaks the intensity of contact and lets him choose to seek you on his own. Good for shy dogs, though you may be past this already. Whatever! I'm just happy you are connecting so well! Good work!
  • Great! Ahimsa is a good center and has good trainers...several people on my Flyball team have taken dogs there for training. Are you working with Frank?
  • I wasn't working with Frank. It was a woman...forgot her name...but that was just the intro class I needed to take prior to being able to take the Growly Class. I think it is just 2 ladies who do the fearful reactive classwork. Not sure who Growl Class will be with but it was already full so we aren't starting that until March for Taro.
  • We actually just got back from a hike and he was SO FRIGGIN HAPPY! OMG he was reacting to me, he was frolicking and sniffing everything!

• he's so cute! :)
  • He really is ridiculously cute, I love all of his fluff, and those eyes! ♥ You're doing great, he looks SOOO happy!
  • So glad you're making progress with him! He's really really cute <3

Im in love with his fluffy tail and huge grin :')