Good photo compositions needed for making woodblock style prints

edited January 2015 in General
Hello everyone,

I finally want to start doing art for myself and stop freelancing so much and I have been really wanting to do Nihon Ken related art. I have a shiba and a kai. I realize there is already a large mass of cool art for shibas but not really much for the other breeds, especially for kais. I wanted to start doing woodblock style carvings (since I used to do them in college all the time) to make prints for the community to purchase and start getting more products and art related to all Nihon Ken and not just shibas.

If anyone you non-shiba owners would be willing to share your nicely composed photos of your dogs, it would be awesome to start building up a reference. I've already done a lot of google searching but many photos are of puppies, dogs in shows, or in homes being hugged by children etc.

Here is what I am looking for

1. Not shibas (unless you think your pic is the coolest composition)
2. Preferably more Hokkaido and Japanese Akita (I have a Kai, so I can just take photos of him, but Kais are still appreciated)
3. Composition is key. Dog outside amongst the trees, running through a field, looking at a pond, looking majestic on a beach, great poses, action shots etc.
4. High resolution images are NOT NEEDED. You can water mark them if you want but the images themselves will not be used as a copy or replicated exactly. More or less likely I am looking for good poses of the dogs and will probably stick them in a different environment.

Here are 2 links to give you an example of what I want to do:
http://www.craftlovely.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/G-stamps3.jpg
http://meridianletterpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/63.jpg

Feel free to message me here or shoot me an email at walrusjm@gmail.com
You can view my work and art at www.jwallwallace.com

Any photo where the pose is being used or composition is being used, that person gets a free special edition of that print. (I will be trying to keep track of whose photos are whose so that I can contact you to send you your limited edition print).

Thank you in advance,
Jennifer

Comments

• I've already done a lot of google searching but many photos are of puppies, dogs in shows, or in homes being hugged by children etc.
    Something to take into consideration is that just because an image is found on Google it doesn't mean that it is free to use for an art reference. Photography, at least in the US, is protected under Copyright laws and even when used as an artistic reference the artist must still get the Photographers permission to use it, this is especially important if the artwork is going to be displayed or sold in public. So with that said, I hope that any Google images you may choose to use you have received permission to use it.

Otherwise, woodblock is a cool idea and I hope that you share some pics on here when you do make them. I love art in all its forms so it's pretty cool to see everyone's creativity.
  • @calia - definitely understand your concern.

I am well versed in copyright laws as a designer. We had a whole semester simply on copyright laws and laws that protect your art as well. "The Handbook" from the Graphic Artist Guild of America is one of the most useful books for any person in the creative industry and really goes into black and white over copyright laws.

I won't be doing any actual reproductions of the photos or even derivative of the work.

Anything off of google images and any images anyone allows me to use will simply be used as reference, such as the pose of the dog or the setting. I would use way less from anything from google images than people who actually provide me permission so as not to come close to infringement.

Take the Grumpy Cat for example. They own the rights over the cat, but people can still legally make some images similar to sell since they haven't pursued more extreme copyright laws (cough...Disney...Barbie...) which would prevent any products being sold unless if it is an actual artistic expression such as the street artist NYCHOS does with Disney characters (http://bit.ly/1BXEahY). Technically it is considered influenced so therefore his work is also protected under copyright law from being sued by Disney. That doesn't mean Disney still doesn't try.

Many artist hit up stock images or google search to find poses, landscapes, foliage and anything else that helps them get reference materials before they put pen to paper.

Hope that helps clear it up.
  • edited January 2015
    You can use any of the Japanese Akita photos in my smugmug account. Pm and I'll send you some gallery links.

jackburton.smugmug.com
  • I'm not a great photographer by any stretch of the imagination, but you can use my photos of Meitou for a Hokkaido reference. A lot of them are in his thread, but you can also check out my flickr page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/116251635@N04/
  • I think the only thing that set red flags up for me is that you are asking for good photo compositions. Compositions are subject to copyright, too... that's why you should always make up your own. :)

Better to use the photos from users here, anyway, you get permission + they're bound to be better than what google pops up!
  • @Kaja

I should clarify that it is a little more towards the poses of the dogs. I wouldn't even be taking a full composition from a photo. I am not taking a photo and then just simply turning it into an illustration. I mostly just want to get the dogs correct. Yes I would be more or less likely creating my own landscapes etc that the dogs would live in.

Trust me, my job is to understand copyrights and even to educate my freelance clients why I can't use or do certain things because of copyrights.

These are all viable questions/concerns!
  • edited January 2015
    Sorry, I should have added... I'm a professional creative, too. This is why I know these things ;)

The dog poses (if taken from an unauthorized source) would be copyright even in a separate environment. However if you photobashed it or changed it thereof, you'd be fine! General rules is 7+ significant alterations and you're ok. I'm an illustrator, so I'm also a little biased when it comes to the degree of referencing haha. Don't mind me.

Regardless don't take our comments as discouragement, we're just throwing caution out there for you! Because even people in the industry have run in to those issues... you know that, undoubtedly. To be honest I wouldn't worry about it too much though. Stylization goes a long way (referencing and whatnot). The thoughts in this thread are just over careful, because there's no such thing as being too careful... and it's useful for others who look for the same information in future :P
  • I'm just chiming in to say that I will need all NKF illustrators on board next time we do a Nihon Ken Forum Art Calendar... the first year I had 4, this year I had 8 (i think?), I'd love to have 12 (PLUS the return of haikus) for 2016. So ... don't vanish, okay?
  • @wrylybrindle Yeah I was too late to submit anything, but I was also in the process of moving so wouldn't have had anytime anyways. I should be able to submit several to choose from even based off the prints I am going to work on.
  • edited January 2015
    Yeah, I didn't see a call-out for contributions this time at all. Hopefully next time more forum people can get involved.
  • Yeah, I've got a sister who is an illustrator too. Given enough notice, I'd like to ask her to do something too