Help! We lost Kiba this morning!- KIBA CAME HOME!!!

edited December 2014 in General
Our dog Kiba (Kai Ken) bolted out the door as we were taking our other dog out. This happened at 5:30AM 12/7/2014. LAST SEEN ON THE CORNER OF NE 90TH STREET AND 177TH PLACE (by Avondale Rd)

He is 25-28lbs, about 17in in height, maybe 25in in length. His fur is medium length. His coat is black with light tan striping (Black Brindle). His tail is long and will either be down but his relaxed tail position is straight up in more of a sickle position over his back. He was last seen wearing a black collar with white and red stripe and with the letters N7 on it, but there is a tag physcially attached to the collar itself (not dangling).

HE IS MICROCHIPPED AND NEUTERED.

Even if you’ve just seen him, please call. I need to know which areas he has been in.

Jennifer & Adam Best cell to reach: 425-761-1624, other cell: 360-510-1500

here is the craigslist post: http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/pet/4794332798.html

Our poster: image

Comments

• :( Best wishes and prayers for his safe return!
  • Oh no! Hope you're able to get him back as soon as possible!
  • I hope you find him soon :(

You should probably add something like "Has health issues that require medication". Even if he doesn't have anything wrong with him, it helps reduce the chance of someone keeping him after they catch him.
  • edited December 2014
    Have you gone out and called for him yet? I pray from the bottom of my heart he comes home

Edit: maybe not the most reliable source, but I hope this helps. http://m.wikihow.com/Find-a-Lost-Dog
    http://www.reshareworthy.com/how-to-find-a-lost-dog/
  • Oh no!!! :( I hope you find him and get him home safe ASAP!
  • I shared it on fb, I have a few friends that live around there...I really hope you find him!! Please keep us updated!
  • We've been out looking for him since 5am... We've had lost of people out looking for him and we briefly saw him but then lost him again. Been canvassing the neighborhood and trying to leave fliers on every door and going to take them on all the pet stores, vets etc...
  • We've been out looking for him since 5am... We've had lost of people out looking for him and we briefly saw him but then lost him again. Been canvassing the neighborhood and trying to leave fliers on every door and going to take them on all the pet stores, vets etc...
    So you know he's still in the area, that's good. Does he have any toys that make noise? Maybe try squeaking them and calling his name? I hope you find him!
  • He doesn't play with toys...and he isn't really food motivated. But we stuck his crate on our porch and hope that maybe he comes back.

I was told Kai don't really come back even if they are super bonded to you. I just hate that his tracker is on the damn charger and not on him. It would at least have helped us know his general location.
  • I'm so sorry for you! I hope you are reunited!
  • Kai can freak out and really get caught up in their flight instinct. (I've seen it even in my boy who I had since he was 8 weeks old). However, Kai are also found. I'm going to focus on the positive here, and keep sending good thoughts that you're able to get Kiba home soon! I've also shared the post in general, and also with people in the Seattle area.....
  • My Chibi has bolted in the past, twice. There was no way she was going to come back to me, but an open car door got her scooped up lickety split. If he loves car rides half as much as she does, might suggest people open their car doors if they spot him and offer him a ride, rather than try to approach him directly.

Hoping he comes home soon!
  • he does hop into cars pretty quickly. that is a great point. Might be more of a possibility but that would require him kind of coming to you.

I am hoping that he is just hiding. I do strongly think he is sticking to the area since we did see him come out of a briar patch around noon at a spot across the street from where we live. He is a big hider. He hides in small, compact spaces because they make him feel safe.
  • I would throw a blanket over his crate and set it off the porch a little. A familiar scent will help. I would go back out once things quiet down. The fewer people looking for him the better. To many strange people feeds their flight response.
  • Yeah we left the crate exactly how we always have it. It has 2 blankets over it plus the sleeping pad as well.
  • Once you know where he is, you need to find a way to set a trap. Trapping lost Kai have been the most effective way I've seen to get them back.
  • @BradA1878

What kind of trap? How do I do this?
  • You want a live animal trap. Check with your local animal control to see if they have one that they will set up for you. Usually they put some smelly food or treats inside to lure the dog in.
  • Going to go out tonight for one more run before finally getting some much needed rest since I've been up pretty much since 4:45am....

Thanks for all the advice so far.
  • What Stacey ( @sjp051993 ) said. Of the Kai we've had lost, the ones that were found were trapped in live animal traps.
  • @BradA1878 and @sjp051993

Did you just set them up around the area or did you know they were in that spot? I am worried about setting up random traps and then just catching raccoons etc.

Did you also work with animal control or did you already have your own traps?
  • Oh no... I always dread seeing posts like this. :(

The suggestion of live animal traps is the best one. You will want to set up the traps in areas that you know he has been or think he will go. Most people work with animal control or private animal trappers to set up the traps (traps are pretty expensive, especially ones large enough for an adult Kai).

I will keep you guys in my thoughts. I hope you are able to find him and bring him home soon.
  • Weren't you saying that when you were keeping another dog he seemed to like that other dog a lot. Is there any chance they could bring that dog over to walk around the area and act as a lure for Kiba? Maybe if he liked him enough he'd be willing to come greet him.
  • OH MY GOD HE CAME BACK! Our neighbor knocked on our back door and said she saw him run around and I went to the front door to go run after him but HE WAS THERE AND HE RAN BACK IN. He ran straight for his cubby in our linen closet!

I CAN'T BELIEVE HE JUST CAME BACK! We've only have had him for 4 months and he came back. Our shiba kept barking all night randomly and I thought maybe it was because she kept seeing him, but I kept checking and saw nothing but maybe she was seeing him.

MY KIBA IS BACK AND I CAN'T STOP CRYING.
  • edited December 2014
    Awwwh....I am so happy for you both!!!! I am sure he is really happy to be be back too : ).
    Sometimes dogs need to think it over and regroup after a panic. The more mature they are in age, often the better a dog is able to think it out. At least you know there is a bond and you can move forward.

All the best to you and keep us posted on his progress
    Snf

PS: Be sure to change you post title to happily found
  • Hooray!! Can you hear us howling out in joy for you?
    Good boy, Kiba!!! :) Hooray, again!
  • edited December 2014
    That's so awesome!!! I was going to say...I've heard a few stories about them coming back (not all kai bolt and are never to be found), im SO happy for you!! I have tears in my eyes :_)
  • Woot, that's great!! I'm so glad he came back to you!!!
  • So glad he came home!! Be sure to rest up!
  • Oh holy shit what a huge relief!