KIta Yume

edited September 2014 in General
Hi everyone and sorry for being out for touch for so long. We have been so busy over the past year trying to settle here in Alberta (slightly different than Japan!).
Yume is healthy and just getting settled into out new place. She has a lot of issues that need work but we are trying. Last winter I had her off leash in a park when she decided 3 coyotes would be more fun to play with than me, this as you can imagine did not end well. Yume was bit on her hind leg and tail and she needed staples ect which was not fun at all.

She would get in the occasional fight with a dog before, but unfortunately she can no longer be off leash because it has become more of the norm for her. Her recall is also very bad and we can't trust her to come back anymore. I am really starting to think Hokkaidos are some kind of wild dog or half wolf or something. She is pretty good with us but we have to very cautious around other people and animals. She is constantly in hunting mode when we leave the house and I am certain nothing would be more enjoyable for her than chasing deer through the woods. Deer I am not concerned about, but bears, wolves, mountain lions, big horn sheep ect all live near here and I am don't want Yume running back to me with something chasing her (guns are not allowed in Provincial or National parks).

Anyway, I have attached a few recent pictures for you to see.

Jeff

Comments

• Yume! She's as gorgeous as ever. It's great to get an update on her. I'm glad she's doing better from her coyote scare. And I totally empathize with the issues to work on thing. ;) Meitou is a handful, too.

Yume must be more brave in a car than Meitou is. I don't think he's ever mustered up the courage to stick his head out a window even when we're not moving, which is good for me. I'm not sure I could handle him wanting to stick his head out the window. So far I think the thing that got him the closest to putting his head out the window was a herd of elk, but that was out at the beach. We don't really get elk in our town.
  • Wow! It is so beautiful there!
  • Thanks for the update. Sorry about the coyote encounter glad she is alright now though.
  • I love her expression in the bed picture. "Ah yisssss". NK definitely have their oddities but I think we love them more for it. Maybe as she settles down around 4 or 5 some of the less wanted traits will diminish? Has she been in obedience classes lately? Sachi did much better with strange dogs and humans after. When I have the money I throw us into whatever class is available to keep her social skills sharp more than anything and reiterate training.
  • Hey Jeff! I think we need some more recent Yume pics and an update! ;)
    Is she intact by the way or was she spayed?