Raffle Idea For Nihonken Invitational show

edited August 2014 in General
At our speciality show in Feb we do a 50/50 raffle. For the november show I would like to do the same thing but with a twist. Usually a 50/50 has 50% of the money going to the winner and 50% going to the club. For this raffle, I would like to se 50% going to the winner and having the winner selecting a rescue to get the other 50%. Between JACA and this forum I think we could preselect 4-6 rescues that need to service the breeds invited to the show. The winner would then select one and we would cut a check.

What do you guys think?

Sean

Comments

• I like it. I would like to suggest BEAR, ARWNY, and AARTA for Akita rescues.
  • That's a great idea! Those are the Akita rescues I'd suggest too! :)

What other breeds are invited to the show? Other than Akita rescues, I could also think of some good Shiba rescues (esp. some good regional ones like Shibas4Life, Red Young's Northern California Shiba rescue, Northern NV Shiba rescue, etc.), and also the Jindo rescue, Two Dog Farms.

• So this is what I'm thinking let's narrow it down. I like BEAR a lot you guys pick one more. There is a Shiba rescue that BSA uses but again can you guys pick another one from above. Then we can also do Two dog farms.

I would prefer to limit two per breed with Akita having a rare moment as 1 breed ;). That way we can make a program highlighting the rescue. I'll need to get a brief write up for the rescues including logo website contact info and mission statement. I'll ask Judy where she gets her big printed posters from and have it all put on one to be displayed.

I'm glad you guys like this.
  • Tri-state shiba rescue does shiba and Kai rescue.
  • Oooh, Tri-state would be good then since it does Shiba and Kai (luckily not a lot of Kai needing rescue, and I hope that will continue, but still, it would be cool to have a rescue that does more than one NK!). There are a lot of good Shiba rescues out there too....I didn't think of Tri-state because I was thinking of western ones, but no reason to limit it! And Tri-state is a great rescue, too!

BEAR is cool because they managed to keep going even though their house was horribly flooded in the storms in NJ--had to move all the Akitas upstairs! Hard to believe they still kept going, but they managed. They probably need the money more than ARWNY right now as ARWNY is running their own raffle (though I love ARWNY's group Save our Seniors for Akita Seniors!)

Oh, another East Coast (Shiba) rescue that I like a lot is run by Mitch and Roberta Fuchs....he and Red Young in Calif have been super helpful to me when I was trying to help people find rescues for Shibas here. The Fuchs rescue is Shiba Rescue of Ocean County.

They are all good rescues....I'd suggest your group take a look at them and decide which you all like best or even draw names out of a hat--you can't go wrong with any of the suggested rescues! And what a cool idea!
  • Ok so here is who I plan on contacting:

BEAR
    Saving Shibas
    Tri-State
    Two Dog Farms

Is there a rescue in Japan that we would be interested in adding to the list?
  • There's a listing of Shiba Rescues over on the Shiba Forum page.
    Two Dog Farms also coordinates with Treasured K9s on the East Coast.

My suggestion: Put cards with rescue names in a doggie food container and have the winner of the raffle draw the name of a rescue from there. (So you have a random drawing as well.)
  • edited August 2014
    @jackburton - there was one on the shiba forum that actually did wonderful work.

CAPIN - http://www.capinew.jp/

@gorosan on the shiba forum found them and together they did some really wonderful work rescuing a shiba in very bad condition. I do not think they are a shiba exclusive rescue. I'll link to the thread so you can see what they did.

http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/discussion/12338/shiba-rescue-in-japan/p1

[edited to add]

This is my suggestion for a rescue over in Japan though hopefully some of our Japan residents may have some suggestions too. I threw this one out there because I know they've done some great work.