Nice collars

edited July 2013 in General
Okay so I'm looking for some nice collars for my puppy. Suggestions? I haven't had a double coated breed in some time...and I'm looking for something that won't damage my little Shikoku's coat! :)

Comments

• I think that @Sangmort makes some kick-ass collars.

Other than that, in my experience with double-coated dogs, just regularly removing the collar when the dogs are in the house has been enough for me. My Malamute has a minuscule amount of breakage around where his collar wears, but he's 7 now. No one else notices it, just me.

My Shikoku has no hear breakage at all (at ~6). I'm not sure what his previous owner used on him, but I've used the same collars that I have used on my Malamute. His hair seems a little more resilient to the breakage - maybe because his guard hair is shorter than my Mal's.

I have heard that rolled leather is the best thing. I have a rolled leather collar for my Shikoku, but I stopped using it because he seemed really reactive on it - probably because it's so thin. He does better on thicker collars or harnesses.
  • My favorites:

Whitepine
    Spindrift
    Silverfoot
    Haute Dog leather choker
  • amarok.de have some very nice ones (I think the webpage only is in german, but they have a facebookpage as well which is in english). They also have very nice harnesses. Gonne get one as soon as my wallet grows big enough.
  • edited July 2013
    Another vote for @sangmort! I LOVE the collars she made for me. Super durable, handle water well, the dogs look great in them... Best collars (and leashes) I have ever bought.
    https://www.facebook.com/KismetCollars

As far as hair breakage/collar rings go... My dogs go naked at home. They only wear their collars when they are out and about with me. Conker's collar is real thick too, 1.5 inches.
    When they do wear a collar at home, it's a chain-type that doesn't choke that just holds their tags. I wouldn't walk any of them on that type of collar though, way too thin.
  • edited July 2013
    I can't put regular collars on some of my double coated dogs. The Akita who has slightly longer than average coat can wear a rolled leather collar, but that's it.

My Kai could not wear any leather (including rolled), or most of the other versions we tried. We go with white pine now which have been great (and cheap!)

I have never been willing to let my dogs go "naked" because I'm too paranoid about them being out in the yard without id, and in addition, with a multidog family, I need to be able to grab collars occasionally for management. so they keep their collars on 24/7 (or except for Leo, is a master at escaping collars, and just last night came in carrying his in his mouth).

The Shibas are fine, and both have pretty decorated leather collars.
  • I vote for White Pine Outfitters.
  • I like just the soft nylon flat collars, some with decorative ribbon sewn on, kept rather loose and with an ID tag bag. From the days when I had to break up Akita fights in my house, these could be twisted easily to cut off air. I didn't see the need for a heavy leather collar for them but use different collars for walking. For special occasions, I have one of the studded leather double collars, a copy of the one in the AKIHO museum (Oli Collars, Etsy).
  • edited July 2013
    I like Alpine Outfitter's stuff for basic inexpensive nylon collars. The full circle is a good one, and the limited slip is not bad either. I prefer the collars with the big O rings than the regular D's since the O's are a LOT easier to grab.
    http://www.alpineoutfitters.net/secure/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=22
    They don't do pretty fabric decorated ones though.
  • I have the Alpine Outfitters limited slip with the big O-rings on four of my dogs. Love that I can grab the O-ring and the dogs can't twist my fingers when they spin.

The fabric is starting to break the hairs on one of my shedding dogs though. Don't know if it's coincidence, but that dog's limit slip tab was sewn shorter than the other's. Since I might still trot him out for shows, he's going to be switched to a White Pine.
  • I used rolled leather on my Finnish Lapphund, and I never noticed any significant breakage. For generic collars from the pet supply store, they held up pretty well--she only ever had two, and the first one was replaced because she got skunked and I couldn't get the stench out rather than because it wore out/broke.
  • What about this? I use this with my Basenjis...

http://spindriftdog.com/Cozy-Collar.html
  • Just chiming in for future discussions: I now use Whitepine and Silverfoot collars

I tried a Ruffwear collar that literally trimmed all of Takeo's neck hair :( it looked like I shaved a ring around his neck. Never buying one again!