Building Drive

edited January 2013 in Hunting & Working
Okay, here's my little secret. I hunt with Conker.

I have been training him on squirrel for a while now and he is doing alright for a rookie dog being trained by a rookie hunter/trainer, but there's some stuff that needs work.
Conker has an immense prey-drive, for cats. I'd like to be able to redirect that drive off cats and onto squirrels, but I am not sure how to do it. I would also like to have his drive/intensity/focus increase in general as well. He listens very well when off-leash and has a very good recall (especially for a Shiba) even when cats and squirrels are around, so I know I can control him when he's all hyped up.
I've got some corn hanging in a tree to attract squirrels to use as a training aid, but I do not think that is working as well as I'd like it to. Would trapping a squirrel and having it up close help in this situation? I'd also like him to bark/bay more, and again I am unsure of how to go about doing this.
Squirrel hide is not doing much, or I'd use that. Other than for a toy, he has little interest in dead animals.

I know a lot of it is just getting out there in the woods, but I'd like to be able to do some training at home if possible.

Comments

• Maybe post this on laika forum maybe they'd have tips as not many here use dogs to hunt squirrel or stuff like that..

Saya has treed juvenile raccoons before I don't intend to hunt them or anything.

Saya has pretty high prey drive chased two adult rabbits at age of 9weeks.

She still does and has improved with ignoring them if told or chasing if told.

How does Conker reacts to squirrels does he go after them when sees them or does he seeks them out any?

Saya has two squirrel pelts one with cow hide string tied on it so I can use it like a flirt toy and have her chase it and other she can play with or fetch.

I recently stuffed the one on the string with some paper to give it more realistic look to it..

Maybe put some squirrel scent on the pelt?
    http://www.gundogsupply.com/squirscen4oz.html

I think Saya's squirrel pelt still has good bit of scent on it. I mean their skunk pelts sure smelled skunky.. lol

Like I said laika forum probably be able to answer these questions.
  • If you are able to trap a squirrel, you can put it in a rolling cage where conker can chase it around. I know raccoon hunters use this method and I'm sure it will work for you. You could always start with squirrel skin and make a drag and have you pup chase that.
  • You can hang dead squirrel in a tree to get him to bark at it, then reward him by releasing the squirrel so he can get it. When he trees cats, ignore it and walk away. Eventually he will stop since he doesn't get a "kill" when he barks at them vs squirrel.

That works with Laika... Shiba are kinda headstrong tho compared to a Laika.