The Girls: Juneau and Sasha

edited March 2013 in Other Breeds
I have talked about but never shared pictures of the Girls, so here are a couple shots of Juneau and Sasha, my family's Border Collie/Labrador Retriever mixes.

Sasha on the left, Juneau the right.

Comments

• They are quite cute...

LMAO at Conker in the background!
  • Both Sasha and Juneau are adorable.

And you know, at first I didn't notice Conker in the background of the last picture until I read sunyata's comment. Shows how observant I am, eh?
  • Are they from the same litter? Very cute. I love BCs and BC mixes.
  • Yes they are from the same litter. There were nine of them and we couldn't pick just one, so we came back with two.
  • edited September 2011
    Sasha took and passed the AKC Canine Good Citizen test today! She did very well, her only problem was with the dog meet n' greet thing, she tried to sniff the other dog but I was able to stop her so it didn't count against her. I'm going to be sending in her paperwork for the CGC certificate so I'll have something fancy to stick on the wall. Might even buy her a CGC tag too... Just depends on how much I want to spend on her!
    I think this is a fitting end to reaching her weight goal of 50 pounds down from 70. She used to be quite a tubby girl.

Hopefully I'll be able to work with Juneau and even Conker to get their CGC's. That'd be neat!
  • Congratulations on Sasha passing the test. :)
  • edited September 2011
    Congratulations :)
  • Congrats, that's awesome! :D
  • Congrats! :) good girl Sasha!
  • Congrats to Sasha...btw, Sasha's and Juneau's coat is amazing...it's sooo shiny and lustrous...
  • What great dogs - congratulations!
  • Congrats :)!
  • Congratulations! That's a great accomplishment.
  • Congratulations, Sasha! That must be a great feeling!
  • Sasha chipped a tooth on something, I think an old beef rib that was left in the yard about a week and a half into december. So far it hasn't bugged her at all and Mom doesn't think she needs to go to the vet (and hasn't, much to my annoyance) but it doesn't seem to have gone too deep. It kinda looks like the tip just, flaked off.

That's the chip on her left carnassial.

Here's a picture of a wolf skull (yes, I know wolves have bigger teeth) to compare.
    So, would you guys have this looked at? I'd really like to, and the Girls are due for a vet visit anyways, but I haven't been able to convince Mom to take her in yet despite e-mailing her much literature on the subject.
  • What does the literature say?

I don't get alarmed if the pulp isn't showing.
  • Lynx has worn down and chipped her teeth (yes, multiple!) too. It sucks but I wouldn't worry about it. It happens, unfortunely. =/
  • Oh, just mainly things about the need to keep a dog's teeth clean, and get chips checked out by a vet just in case there's hidden damage. Mom says, "Dog's don't need their teeth looked after! They're dogs." And that sort of stuff ticks me off. I worked hard to get Juneau and Sasha's teeth to the state they are now (they were bad when I moved back in) and it's just obnoxious with how little Mom seems to care about how the teeth can affect the whole body if they are left to rot.
  • My only concern would be exposed pulp which it looks like would be pretty close on the break. If the tooth dies eventually it will have to be removed. However, dentistry is expensive so you really have to weigh treatment. Here's some info. that may help http://www.animaldentalcenter.com/html/vet-resource-frameset.html

(Last time I was in the clinic there was a police dog getting treated for trauma due to being smashed in the teeth by an assailant who was attempting to evade police. The dentist managed to fix the dog up pretty well. It is amazing what they can do now, but not cheap.

Snf
  • So, I check the Girls' teeth every couple days and now Juneau's got a busted tooth too! It's the same one as Sasha's, the upper left carnassial, but I can definitely see some pulp or whatever it is. A good chunk of the carnassial is gone, not like Sasha's where it was just a flaked tip. Mom is concerned now that both Sasha AND Juneau have broken teeth, especially since I know Juneau's is much worse than Sasha's and really needs to be looked at.
    I'm going to try to see if Mom can get them into the vet soon to have those looked at. It would really stink if Juneau's tooth got worse.
    I can't get a picture because Juneau doesn't like her mouth being messed with. She's not acting like it's any more sensitive than normal though.

And like last time, I have no idea what broke the tooth. They haven't been given anything hard lately and they don't go around munching on random things, so I'm kinda at a loss as to what caused it.
  • Alright, I was able to get this one terrible shot of the busted tooth.

Compared to Sasha's, this looks pretty bad.
  • edited January 2012
    Yep you can see the pulp : /. In the link above there is an educational resource section listed on the left of the frame.....it has some detailed info on fractures etc. For one of our dogs we had a fill and on the other we had the tooth pulled since we did not get to it in time.

Good luck....
    Snf
  • Lost dog. Broken teeth. I leave the forum for two days Amd I get back to bad news.

I would take her in pronto. I'm sorry this is happening. Reminds me that I need to brush Kodas teeth tonight.
  • Yeah, I want to take her in real bad. You can see the pulp in two places and most of the external carnassial is gone. Mom is still iffy about it and if I have to, I will take her in myself. I can't exactly afford to do that but I'd rather have a big credit card bill and a healthy Juneau than a not healthy Juneau and no credit bill.
  • This is terrible! Tell us how it goes! Poor dogs though!
  • Sorry this happened again maybe they were bored while everyone was gone or something.. :\

Hope it's not too bad I been through dental stuff with our past dogs well my mom paid for it being as they were her dog, but still I knew it was a lot..
  • edited January 2012
    We got the tooth looked at today. It's bad enough that we're just going to have it extracted, since doing a root canal and cap would mean we'd have to be referred and the only place around here who does those is in Ashland, which is an hour away, and we'd have to drive down several times if we did that.
    She's scheduled to have the tooth pulled on the 17th. Her teeth are going to be cleaned as well, and the cost is going to be something like $430-480.(They don't do the February dental discount, nobody around here does.) Not cheap, but oh well. Better fix it now than to let it abscess and cause further more serious problems.

Other than that, Juneau is in great health, heartworm free, didn't need to be vaxed and the vet said if she hadn't been given an age, she would have guessed Juneau was 2! She's 6, so the vet was quite happy with how good of shape Juneau is in.
  • That is great news!! :) (As in healthwise not money wise)
  • Random dump of Juneau and Sasha pictures!

Derp Dog in black and white.

Packdogs

Dur hur derp.

Sasha

This is how Juneau protects something she thinks is hers.

Juneau being cute.

Super cute Juneau again.

Juneau (and Conker) went lure coursing.

The Girls accompanied Conker and I to Bend last summer. We visited the Badlands.

Juneau carried the water. They drank all of it and I had to share mine with them.

Sasha a little over 1 year of starting her diet program. She lost 22 pounds! You can see a before picture right here.

This is just, odd, looking...

Sasha

I really like this one of Sasha and the sunset mountain.

Pinecones are fun...

These are hard to do...

Juneau is able to focus intently on everything except me.

She is usually out in front being spazzy.

Juneau is always on the lookout for squirrels. If she would bark when she treed one, she'd be an amazing squirrel dog. but she doesn't XP

Sasha is just Derp.

Juneau is a good packdog, if you don't care about your stuff getting smashed to bits.

Sasha is an excellent pace-setter for the first half of the hike, then she starts to lag and blocks the entire trail when she stops to sniff things.

There was an animal ahead someplace.

Sasha

Juneau

Obligatory

Group photo on the bench!

Dogs eating the Baby Beef.

Sasha eats Baby Beef like a wolf. She stands on it and used her entire body to rip it apart.

Juneau has horrid leash manners. Sometimes I take her on a solo-hike so I can work on them with her. She gets off-leash time for behaving nicely on-leash. This works really good for her, since she loves to romp around in the forest.

Juneau thought this was awesome.

Juneau had never played tug before I taught her how last month after reading The Culture Clash. She loves it!

The end. Or is it?
  • Love the pictures. Eating the beef is neat.

Saya never uses her paws on items except for beef rib she'll use the paws to get every last bit of meat off the rib.