Karen Pryor Academy Dog Training and Behavior Program

edited October 2010 in Behavior & Training
I'm enrolling in the Bloomfield Hills, Mi workshop next year (not posted on their site yet tho), thought some of you would be interested as well.

http://www.karenpryoracademy.com/

Comments

• edited October 2010
    Cool! Jen is going to start the Karen Pryor Academy in January, she will be doing it in ABQ. She was supposed to have been done with it by now but she had a baby instead. (lol)

It's a great program tho, I'm kinda jealous of her. I wish I could go.

Kelly, when you are done with it you will have to come and school all of us on the forum! :o)

----
  • That's great that Jen's doing it too! I'm excited to start some formal education in behavior and clicker training from such a great program. If she hasn't already, she might also be interested in becoming a member of the Association of Pet Dog Trainers (http://www.apdt.com/). Which trainer is she choosing to work with, and which dog will she be bringing to the workshops?
  • That is cool Jen is doing it--I see it is with Dani Weinberg! I'd love to do it, but it's a bit more than I can afford at the moment....

I can't wait to hear more about it!
  • That sounds awesome! I wish I had the time and money to do it as well. Maybe one day. :)
  • @kwyld - Jen will be working with Dani Weinberg, we have worked with her in the past and loved it... So Jen was really excited that she could do the academy with her. We like Dani because she has a very scientific way of looking at training and behavior, it appeals to us.

As for APDT, yea I think Jen may have already joined... but I am not 100% sure. I'll have to ask. The other one she plans to do, after the Karen Pryor Academy, is getting her CPDT cert. You have to have several hours of training logged before you do that tho.

We've discussed The Academy for Dog Trainers at the SFSPCA as well, there is a chance I may go to that one once Jen has completed her academy and certs. It will depend on our finances. We originally wanted Jen to go to it, but with the Chase (our daughter) surprise we had to rethink the logistics a bit.

We have a secret dream of building a large barn at the back of our property and Jen seeing training clients there.

----

@shibamistress - Yea, its with Dani, she and Deborah (the trainer I introduced you to at Luck Dawg) recommended the Academy to Jen.Actually, she may be taking it with Deborah, tho I'm not sure. Jen was supposed to have done it a year ago but our plans got a little messed up with the new baby.

----
  • Congrats on enrolling! I think it's really good that there's finally some kind of official, reputable dog training educator out there. I looked into becoming a trainer once, and everyone basically just start charging people money for dog training classes and then you're a "dog trainer."

@brada1878 "Cool! Jen is going to start the Karen Pryor Academy in January, she will be doing it in ABQ. She was supposed to have been done with it by now but she had a baby instead. (lol)"

Story of my life, lol.