I have a whole new apprecaition for...

edited October 2010 in General
...the phrase "scared the crap out of me."

I was making myself a steak for dinner and it was giving off some smoke. Unsurprisingly, the smoke alarm started going off. So I waved my shirt in front of it and got it to shut off. As I went around and opened some windows, it started going off again. So I repeated the shirt waving and got it off again. Just then, another alarm started going off. This one was A LOT louder. Then I noticed that the home security system that I never bothered to activate was going off alerting me to a fire. I continued waving my shirt to no avail. I looked around for the dogs and found them all hiding in different corners. When I approached poor Tyson, I saw a little turd on the floor next to him. Poor guy literally had the "crap scared out" of him. :-(

I gave the "crate" command so they would all go to their safe places, and all three dogs piled into one crate. It would have been really cute if it hadn't been so sad. Anyway, after two phone calls to Brinks and 20 minutes I finally got instructions for how to disable the fire alarm. Poor dogs are all shaken up right now. Sucks to be scared of your own house.

Comments

• Poor babes! But glad everyone was ok! ~
  • Oh no! Poor pups. I bet that was no fun. Hope their ears (and yours) stop ringing soon.
  • Oh man, that sucks!
  • Oh no, poor guys! Must've hurt their sensitive ears...
    Next time maybe open the window before cooking? ;o)
  • Poor pups. =( Reminds me of what Mylo the shiba went through in his apartment..

• Oh no!!!! That is so sad. I know Koda would have done the same thing as Tyson. Poor little guy.

This actually reminds me of a thread I have wanted to start for a while on the flight instincts of Kais. Never ceases to amaze me. Maybe I will get a chance today.
  • Awww....poor pups.
    and you feel so helpless cause you cant turn the thing off.

When we lived in Mass, a developer was turning the surrounding pastureland to golf-n-mcmansions and was blasting rock for sewer pipes and so forth. Blasts were always preceded by a 5 mins-to-go airhorn, then a three horn countdown before the actual blast itself, which shook our house. Reilly was only a year old and there was nothing I could do in 5 minutes to get her away. She never pooped in fear, just hid, but I have realized overtime that she is a particularly confident dog.
    She even over came the association of "airhorns = blasting" eventually as blasting finished and she rarely ever heard them afterward, and no earth-shaking seemed to result when she did.