Thoughts on dogs' perception of the world

edited October 2010 in Behavior & Training
I had a discussion with a friend of mine a few weeks ago and we stumbled onto this interesting nugget. I'm curious what you guys thing.

As humans, our most powerful senses are sight and sound. Using sight and sound we are able to visualize the world in three dimensions: up-down, left-right, front-back. When we walk into a new space we map it out visually to get a 3d understanding of our environment. Sound we also use to help with mapping. When we hear a sound, we localize it (I can only assume doing some sort of subconscious triangulation) and add it to our mental map. So, between sound and sight, we can build fairly accurate 3d models of our environment, even for some things we can't directly observe.

For dogs, I think it's pretty commonly accepted that their most powerful sense is smell, followed by hearing, and to a much lesser degree sight. Using sight and sound the way we do, dogs can build up 3d maps of the world too. Additionally, using smell, dogs can locate objects in their environment, further contributing to their 3d map. BUT, smell has a unique characteristic. That is, scents dissipate over time. Smell communicates a fourth dimension: recency. So, if you were to put a cat on a chair and remove it 10 minutes before a dog entered the room, the dog would know a cat had been there. Would the room "appear" different to the dog if the cat was only removed one minute before they entered the room? If so, then wouldn't it be likely that dogs perceive the world in four dimensions?

Sort of a cool idea right? What do you guys think?

Comments

• I think that maybe a very small number of humans could be thought of as perceiving things in 4d then. They don't live in the urban world but in the wilderness where they can determine how many hours ago an animal had been by based on the freshness of the tracks, the breakages of the bushes, the freshness of the spoor, and so on. They know how to process what they see. They're the elite of the elite hunters.
  • Ann kinda beat me to the point I was going to make. When you (Dave) brought this up to me a few weeks back I gave it a lot of thought and came to the conclusion that a dog's ability to smell things better than us is really no different than their ability to hear things better than us - meaning, there is no added abilities over our own, the dog's are just considerably augmented.

If you were in a closed room and burned a match and then left the room with that burnt match. If I entered the room a few minutes (maybe even hours) later I would know that someone had been in there and had burned a match, and maybe I could even estimate the amount of time that had passed. This is the same with a dog, only with a dog they have further reaching ability to do so, like they might know a match was burned in that room a few days later.

To me that's no different than how Luytiy can hear Jen's car turn on to Tune drive 1.9 miles away, I can't hear it, but he can due to his more sensitive hearing.

When you first brought this up to me I was pretty excited about the idea of being able to perceive their reality via "smell-time" (like spacetime)... But the more I thought about it the more the idea fell apart. The main thing that breaks the model is that smell will eventually go away while time and space are permanent.

Certainly a Bloodhound's sense of smell give them a much more detailed view of the world than us humans - like zooming into an image and being able to see each pixel - but I think there is an assumption being made in your point above... We really do not know that dogs have the ability to extract a duration from a smell, we humans can, but we also have a deep understanding of time - I'm not sure a dog has that same type of understanding of time, and if they do, I dunno that they have the cognitive abilities to link the deterioration of a smell with duration and objectify it (into real-world time).

----
  • I'm not sure that I would agree that dogs don't have an understanding of time or duration. I think that there is a learning curve to "calibrate" what they pick up with their senses, but some dogs either do not the opportunity to learn or do not have the keenest of senses to pick up differences. The same goes with people.

In the example of dogs being excited right before their owner comes home from work (at a regular time), there is certainly the sound of the engine that they pick up on, but how would they act if the owner used another car or drove using another drive/gear? That would be one way to test if the dogs are responding to what they hear versus what they anticipate.

I used to call home before arriving from work in order to make sure that the dogs weren't in the garage or in the sideyard when I opened the garage door remotely. One of my girls had learned to anticipate my arrival with the sound of the phone ringing and would start barking excitedly. She wouldn't start barking at every phone call, but only around the time I usually called. It wasn't my voice that she overheard on the phone as she started barking when any phone call was made during that time.

• @ayk - The example you give of hunters constructing a fourth dimension is different than what I perceive dogs doing. Those hunters are using their main three senses, sight, sound, and touch to build the fourth dimension. They build up a function in their head that maps observations obtained using the standard 3d senses to estimate the fourth dimension. My argument is that because dogs rely so heavily on scents, the fourth dimension of perception comes naturally to them.

Which brings me to the point @brada1878 made. I agree that dogs don't have some ability that we don't. My conjecture, at least in my head, but definitely not in my first post) is that because their sensitivities to smell are so high, they can extract information from scents easily that we can't. The fidelity, or granularity, of their observations are so much greater that they can "see" that fourth dimension without effort. It's like comparing a high powered telephoto lens with a spy satellite. You put both in space and both will take pictures, but the optics in the spy satellite will enable you to see things, and therefore mentally model, things that you couldn't with the telephoto lens. For example, with the telephoto lens, from that altitude, everything will appear flat (2d). But with the high-powered optics of a spy satellite, you can discern topography (3d).

As for dogs and their perception of time, I have to agree with ayk on that. Further, I know there are studies about delayed rewards in dogs where dogs can be taught to observe something (like a light on a door) and then return to that door up to 20 minutes later for a reward. I haven't read the papers myself, but I've discussed them with Barbara Sherman. I'm pretty sure that's solid evidence that dogs have some understanding of time.
  • edited October 2010
    @dlroberts & @ayk - For the record, and I'm not being argumentative or combative, I think my words are being a bit twisted here...

I never suggested I think dogs don't have an understanding of time. I am certain they do, actually I think of them as living stop-watches, and I'm certain they have an ability to perceive the lapse of time.

What I did suggest was that a dog's understanding of the lapse of time doesn't give a dog the same understanding we humans have of time (as our understanding goes deeper than just the passing of time).

What I wrote was...
    "We really do not know that dogs have the ability to extract a duration from a smell, we humans can, but we also have a deep understanding of time - I'm not sure a dog has that same type of understanding of time, and if they do, I dunno that they have the cognitive abilities to link the deterioration of a smell with duration and objectify it (into real-world time)."

And I stand by that, I dunno that dogs have enough understanding of time and of the deterioration of a smell, to be able to estimate the amount of time passed based on the amount a smell has deteriorated and I don't know of any studies (and I am aware of the delayed reward studies) that suggest otherwise.

----
  • edited October 2010
    In response to the phone call scenario, yes, that is a great example, but...

Is it too far fetched to think that some other environmental triggers could also happen around the same time that your phone call came in, and those environmental triggers were what were really triggering your dogs anticipation via association?

I'm not saying that your dogs didn't anticipate the event due to their understanding of time. I'm just saying there are other logically plausible scenarios that could yield the same result, making it appear that your female dog was anticipating the event due to the timing when really it was other environmental triggers that made it appear that way.

Just a suggestion, not an argument.

My point is that, since this thread is about a dog's perception of their environment, we should consider a dog's augmented senses (a la Dave's initial post) when considering the reasons for their behaviors... As their POF is different from ours. We may think "oh, it's x o'clock, Ann usually calls around now" while a dog may think "the neighbors garage door just opened, and I saw that cat run by the front yard, Ann usually calls after those events occur".

----
  • Ah, sorry for the misunderstanding. I certainly agree that we don't have any solid evidence that dogs have the cognitive capability to discern duration from scent. We also don't have any evidence that they can't. I think we do tend to see some differences in dogs' reactions to scents of different concentrations. For example, a bloodhound tracking a lost child in the woods often behaves differently when they are on a more recent (and therefore concentrated) track. Whether or not they understand they are getting closer to their goal instinctively or they learn to associate higher scent concentrations with the payoff of finding their goal is a matter we could probably discuss until the cows come home. Let's table it for a minute though.

Do you guys believe my analogy about optics?