Recent Kai Pictures

edited September 2010 in Kai Ken (甲斐犬)
These are just some pics I've taken recently.

First two are of Mao, Kibou's sire.

Mao 3

Mao 2

Puppies

Female 2 #2

Female 3 #3

Comments

• Whoa, Mao is a stud! (pun intended)

And those puppies are, of course, adorable! I seem to recall Brad mentioning something about Jen having little heart-shaped bubbles floating over her head when she met Kona for the first time. I think I've got those now. :-)

How old are they? Five weeks?
  • I want!!!

Thanks for sharing :p ~
  • Oh wow! Mao is amazing! We definitely need Mao pups in the US.
  • Mao is really gorgeous! Wouldn't say no to a pup from him! ;o) Does he have any litters due this year?

The pups are totally adorable, but I better not fall in love, till you send pictures of the one for me ;o) Haha...
  • I can't see the pup pics for some reason, but when I went back to the flickr website, I spied Mako. She looks great too. :-) Sister to Mao?
  • Mako is the dam of the puppies above and is also Haru's dam. Mako and Mao are unrelated, as far as I know.
  • <3 so cute! totally in love :D lol
  • Totally in love with those puppies! :) And Mao is VERY handsome!
  • Oh, my they are so cute <3
  • So the pups' parents are both akatora? Can you tell what color the pups will turn out at that age? Chutora vs. akatora?
  • edited September 2010
    @ayk - Ann, sorry, I didn't mean to imply that Mao is the sire of the pups above, he is not. The sire is a dog named "Eishin". I don't know if Eishin is an Aka or not. I'll let Shigeru answer that. @TheWalrus

----
  • Eishin is a chu-tora. He took overall champion a couple years ago. The dam of those pups is Mako, also a chu-tora. There is one aka in the litter.

As far as when you can tell what color pups will be, you can usually start to see color differences by around 2 weeks. Of course a lot of Kai don't get their final coat color till they're 3 or so.

My Kai Haru was extremely red till about 3 months, she got steadily darker for a while after that, and then a bit lighter. She's now a chu-tora.
  • Ah, okay. That makes better sense. I thought I had to throw away my coat color genetics theory because of this litter. :-)