Taking care of AA for another.

Hi all.

I have just been contacted by an AA owner, who has a male AA, neutered, who she wanted me to look after once in a while, but on a regular basis. She has a tight schedule and it has become difficult for them, to fit it all in. And she told me, they'd want to take some weekends off, and would be happy if I'd take care of their AA Jason for them on occasion.

I'm thrilled for this chance, but I do believe, it's not as good as them having time for their dog themselves. And I am quite puzzled, as they just purchased a GSD puppy like 7 weeks ago. But that is not my business. Though I have been told, that she initially wanted to sell their AA in stead of putting him in care sometimes.

Anyways, I wanted to ask you all, how I can tackle this. I am going to meet the owners, and Jason ofcourse, and we'll see how that goes. But I am a bit nervous, since I am only going to have him for like a weekend, and is that time enough for him to get comfortable with me..? I do want to bond with him so that he'll have a good time, and he can trust me, but I cannot demand to have him, since he is not mine.

Any advice, I'd apprediate it a lot! :o)

This is the guy:
Jason

Comments

• I find that dogs know dog people. I have had friends come over for half an hour and then walk in my house when I am not there (to let the dogs out for me) with absolutely no problem.
    Since these owners sound less than devoted he will probably be thrilled to have someone interested in him and his enjoyment.
  • I would be more concerned with how he gets along with your dog who may not be used to having another outside dog in the home. Make sure to do some proper intro's off your property and then on.
  • Tara >>
    "My" GSD lives with my parents, since she adopted my dad (he took care of her, while I was at school, for 2 years because I had to change career, after I got injured). So I don't have a dog at the moment.
  • Oh yes now I remember. Sorry.

OK well then just have fun with the guy. Make sure to have stuff there, ie bed, toys, chew toys, that will make him feel at home.
  • Sure of course :o)
    I recon I'll have his stuff with me, since it'll make him feel more at home. Otherwise I still have a lot of stuff from when my GSD lived with me. Cleaned of course, so it doesn't smell like another dog.

• He's a very handsome boy! I'm sorry his owners don't have time for him (and yes, I too am puzzled why they got a puppy then), but I think it will be fun for you to have him around, and for him too.

• I agree... Just have fun with him. Dogs know dog people. And I am sure that he is probably more than a little neglected in the attention department. So I bet he will be just thrilled to have you spending time with him.

Good luck! And make sure you take TONS of pictures while you have him. He is quite a handsome dude!
  • @ Sunyata
    No problems in the picture department, I am crazy with a cam - serious triggerfinger! Haha...

Yeah I can't wait to meet him. I'm supposed to take care of him for the first time on 15th october till 17th october. And again at christmas. But I do hope I can have him some more... When I get my future kai, I will have to watch them, but since he is used to having a puppy around I'm sure they'll do fine, with proper introductions...