"No pups for sale? Cities ban pet shops"

edited September 2010 in General
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37359894/ns/health-pet_health/

Older article, meant to post it a while back but forgot about it. ~

Comments

• edited September 2010
    I'm really happy stuff like this is actually getting done finally. I live in Van Nuys which is right next to West Hollywood and I remember how happy everyone got when that law was passed.

That one pet store owner got on my nerves though, claiming she only gets her puppies from "reputable breeders" and she was selling a "chiwinee(?)" at her store. No reputable breeder would sell puppies to a pet store. This woman is really confused or just stupid...or a liar...
  • I would love to see the County where I live do this. I'm surprised SF hasn't gotten on this bandwagon.
  • The accessory dog thing is out of control in West Hollywood, when I was there with Fuji she was under attack non-stop by little shit dogs. It was hell!
  • ha ha ha Maymay would eat them and Koda would be scared of the little dogs.

The little dogs are a big out of control here as well, but not in the city which surprises me. I always see big dogs out there. It's the elitist suburbs I live in. There are tons of little misbehaved yappy dogs. I have to admit, I want to drop kick them every once in a while. People think if their dog is under 30 pds. then there is no need to train them. Fail!!!
  • I wish this would continue to spread to all of the US. Animals should not be sold in retail situations. PERIOD. They are sentient beings and should be treated as such.

As for the pet store owner in NY... Would any reputable breeder allow their puppies to be sold to unknown faces? People they have never met or cleared to be care takers of their dogs? And would any reputable breeder breed "chiwinees"? I find it very interesting that she would not name her suppliers.

Anyway, WAY TO GO Albuquerque! (And West Hollywood, etc.)
  • edited September 2010
    I didn't know Albuquerque had done it, but yay! (But I did know that pet stores hadn't sold puppies here since I've lived here....And once I was at a good independent pet store in ABQ when someone asked where there puppies were for sale, and I was so heartened to hear the young employee give the person a rather long and pointed lecture on why buying a dog from a pet store was a dreadful idea, and why they refused to sell them!)

And I should say I worry about how this got passed in abq, because while this is good, I worry it is part of a line of what is anti-dog sentiment here. There have also been laws about not tethering dogs. Ok, that is good, overall, but it also being applied across the board, without think that hey, someone might need to tie their dog outside a store while they go in, or whatever. And no dogs unattended in cars. Again, you can see the good reasons for this, but....technically I'm breaking the law every time I take my dogs to the post office with me. (And I'm HYPER aware of temp, etc, so only take the dogs in the car at certain times, etc). And also all dogs over 6 mos. old must be spayed or neutered or you have to have a permit to own them. (I plan on just ignoring this one, though since I don't live in ABQ proper, anyway, it may not effect me). So what I'm saying is, while this law is great, I'm worried about the way the dog laws have been going in ABQ.

What is a "chiwinee?" I probably don't really want to know, right?

The thing that disturbs me most about the little "accessory" dogs is that I worry people are starting to think that way about Shibas....And of course, bottom line is, no dog deserves to be treated like an accessory....
  • Chiwinee - chihuahua x dachshund mix.