Are Kyuden Kitsune reputable breeders?

I found Kyuden a while ago while searching for Brindle Hokkaido breeders and they do indeed have a brindle. I looked on their website but it doesn't say much about Health Testing... Which is why I'm asking here... Do they do the full sheebang of health testing? Ie. Hips, Elbows, CEA and Patella Luxation?

If they don't, can anyone here recommend a Hokkaido breeder in Europe that breeds brindles and does the whole range of health testing?

Comments

• edited December 2017
    Kyuden Kitsune are well known and as far as I know, they have a good reputation. I don't know about health testing, but I think some of their dogs are CEA. European breeders may not have to report health screenings publicly.

A Kyuden Kitsune dog is actually in the UK, and the owner is on this forum, but I cannot for the life of me remember her name... @six maybe? She may be willing to share her experience?

http://www.hokkaido-pedigree.com/details.php?id=63650&gens=3
  • Hi! Kyuden Kitsune has a very good reputation in the Hokkaido community. I know Sophie CEA tests her dogs, and I've found records of a couple hip screenings as well (all passing).

By the way, most Hokkaido breeders do not test for elbows, as elbows are really not a big problem with the Japanese breeds (Akita aside). A few breeders test for luxating patella since Shiba have patella problems, but it's still a pretty optional health test and I'm yet to see a Hokkaido with not normal patellas. Hip radiographs and CEA testing are the two big health tests for the breed :)
  • And yes, Lindsey Hiscocks (@Six) owns Kirin, a young female from Kyuden Kitsune. She might be able to answer some of your questions.
  • omg I'm so sorry to revive a super old thread but I just realised I'd been tagged and hadn't seen the notifications.

I do indeed have a Hokkaido from Kyuden Kitsune, she is from the 2016 Katsura x Satsuki litter and will be 2 years old in August.

Sophie tests all her dogs for CEA and her litters are screened too (I have paperwork for Kirin's genetic CEA test). Her dogs are also hip scored. Elbow testing is not common in the Hokkaido and isn't something I've had done with Kirin either after taking advice.

Although all Hokkaido should be tested for CEA, the European breeders tend to put carriers of CEA together due to the lack of clear dogs in the breeding program and general genetic diversity - so the likelihood of finding a clear puppy is small. Likewise over here in the UK, there is no 'official' test for patella luxation.

The other issue that seems to crop up from time to time is heart murmurs.

Brindle is not a common colour in the Hokkaido - Sophie has had one litter from her brindle bitch, Chiko, in the past which produced brindle pups, but other than those I am unsure whether there are other brindle Hokkaido in Europe.

There are a few in the US though, if you wanted to approach the breeders from HANA.

(Sorry again for the super late reply)